If you are considering a trip abroad – whether with PEPY Tours, another operator, or on your own – we want to help you do it responsibly. To do that, we put together a few of our favourite articles covering some of the things we ourselves wished we knew before setting out on our adventure. Arm yourself with basic how-to responsible tourism knowledge and make informed decisions along the way:
- Why We Travel – Pico Iyer provides insight into our curiosities, desires and fascination with the unknown world.
- 13 Tips for the Accidental Ambassador – Ethical Traveler offers advice on how to represent yourself and your home country when traveling abroad.
- Cambodia Cultural Dos and Don’ts – A handy list of cultural faux pas that focus on Cambodia but also apply to other countries of South-East Asia.
- Begging: The Question – Lori Robertson tackles the dilemma of whether to give money to street children.
- To Hell With Good Intentions – Back in the 1960s Ivan Illich raised strong objections to the motive and effects of so-called aid work.
- What’s Wrong With Volunteer Travel? – PEPY founder Daniela Papi presents at TEDx Oxbridge on some potential pitfalls of volunteer travel and the need to focus on learning first.
- The Would-Be-Donor and Budding-Do-Gooder’s Code of Conduct – A 10-point code of conduct developed by our founder Daniela Papi on doing good
Want to know more?
More resources can be found on the Learning Service website.